Monday, February 5, 2007

Aches and Pains


Last night, I was in front of my easel. I'd been painting for a couple of hours, but at that moment, I felt frozen. I had been aching to paint and create all day and realized I couldn't seem to... get there, wherever "there" was.

It is hard to explain. I couldn't be in the present moment and my movements, my brushstrokes felt stiff and awkward.

The cycle - something doesn't flow, it receives intense scrutiny followed by harsh judgements, feelings of desperation at my inadequacies and failings as an artist.
Such a cliche, but I suppose cliches come from somewhere.
Anyway, today's a new day, I'm looking at yesterday's work - step back, look for an inkling of hope, see it and now I will squeeze more paint out of the tube and continue on my journey.

No comments: