Friday, May 14, 2010

Sacred Spaces

I learned in my travels that visual artists will adapt to just about any space to produce art... I once thought I needed the "perfect" studio. I have had a variety of studios over the years and I do believe a lovely space (whatever that means to you,) does enhance the creative process. However, limited space or resources should not stop one from creating art. I hope that sometime in the future, I'll be sailing offshore...   At some point, I will need to "shrink" my studio to fit on the sailboat. In the meantime, I get to enjoy a wonderful little studio.


When we moved to a small town nearly 10 years ago, we rented a high-ceilinged appartment - and with some ingenuity, created a workspace that I used while I attended Art School. If you look carefully, we created the illusion of a wall that still allowed light through to the rest of the living space. It was a small step up from the unused corners  I'd been using until then.

When we moved, I rented a studio.  It had become necessary. I have no pictures of it, it was a moldy-smelling empty storefront. My studio mate and I were too cheap to pay for heat and it was a rather cold space, but it allowed me to work freely when we initially bought a house that didn't have a space ready for me to use.



This picture shows the detached garage on our property that we eventually transformed into my studio. We insulated and re-wired it, and added two large north-facing windows. This was by far my biggest studio. I had lots of room, it was ideal for life drawing and painting.




Here, I am back to working in an apartment corner after relocating to Victoria. I was lucky, my partner was willing to share the living room with my studio. We were refitting our sailboat with the goal to move aboard, so this was a perfectly adequate work space for the time being.




And then there was the hidden gazebo... Once I moved aboard the sailboat, I rented this studio with a friend. A hidden space on an undeveloped property in Oak Bay. It was a little wild, racoons and deer often visited. We worked with gloves and a little space heater in the winter, and it smelled a bit funny - squirrels lived in the ceiling. Ugh.



For about a year, I used another friend's basement as my studio. The ceiling was low but the lighting was rather good - another artist had used the space before. It was a temporary and affordable solution.





And this takes me to my present studio. I took the time to paint the walls, and dig out some of my special "treasures" from storage. I hadn't seen my tin boxes and knick-knacks for the 3 years I've been living on the boat.  I believe I've mentioned this before:  The studio is in a household of artists who are great friends. It's not very big, but it's a very lovely space. And there's a wonderful creative energy in the house. My partner and I spend a fair bit of time there when we're not sailing. Can you blame us? There is a bathtub! (Oh and cool people  are living there too...)


I think of my studio as a vegetable garden, 
where things follow their natural course. They grow, they ripen. 
You have to graft. You have to water. 
(Joan Miro)

4 comments:

kenflett said...

This is a nice post Kyra. Interesting to see all of your studio's. It's important where we work, where we live, our surroundings, just like animals we are. :)
take care

ken

Kyra said...

Thanks Ken, and agreed. That's a tried and true perspective for me... including where I live: living on a boat - I'm right downtown Victoria when I'm at the dock - love the hustle and bustle. but when I get enough, we go off to a green little island... bliss!

BaldyLocks said...

This is really neat seeing all of your studios over the years. I'll never forget when we did the plaster masks and took over your whole apartment for the evening.

Kyra said...

Oh yeah,love the art projects that "grow"... that was fun, I do remember that!