Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to the Basics

Yes, it's time for an overhaul. The artist in me hasn't disappeared. It's just a little quiet.

I have given up my lovely studio, it seemed to be the right decision for the time being, but it has left a hole behind. I'm shrinking my practice to the sailboat, as I am a liveaboard. I have a desire to work smaller. To go back to the basics. To sketch. Draw.

This feels like a time of transition that has been a long time coming. So in this introspective time, I'm also taking the opportunity to explore other artists: their work, their process...

Here is an artist I am very fond of... she inspires me and her work is so very rich. Her name is Jylian Gustlin. Go here to see to see more of her creations. I particularly love her sketches,  see them here.

Icarus 11 by Jylian Gustlin

Her images are raw and powerful.
I am in love with the textures and colours.
The figures.
All of it.

2 comments:

amy rubin flett said...

wow, what a big, brave decision to give up your studio! sigh. but it's true, isn't it, that there are different phases we go through as artists. it will be exciting to see what comes of this live-aboard phase... i always like checking in on your blog.

Kyra said...

Thank you for your encouragement Amy!