Thursday, October 14, 2010

An Artist's Recovery - Part I

 
So here I am. No official studio. Has there been denial? Yep. Has there been the urge to create? Yessir. Has there been motivation to create? Yes and no. After a long break,it's all a little daunting.

Let's just say, I'm adjusting.

Life on a boat is ideal for me. If only for the sheer pleasure of being able to explore the Pacific Northwest without leaving my home behind. I'm kind of like a turtle. I wake up one morning, and see Victoria's famous Blue Bridge out of my galley portlight. The next morning, I'm looking into the cove a lovely green island, the sounds of wildlife greeting me, as I step into the cockpit.


This lifestyle also reflects my priorities: Finding pleasure in simplicity, reducing comsumerism in my daily life, (there's little room to accumulate material objects on a sailboat).

And of course,  we have a smaller carbon footprint.
(We are still working on that - this winter, among other things, we will finally be able to install solar power.)


The question is: Can a boat be ideal for a studio?
A working studio?
I like to think it can be.

There needs to be a paradigm shift. Think smaller. Use different approaches. I'm lucky. I got a little bit of help. For my birthday, my partner and our friends pooled their money and bought me a small, tabletop easel.


I sorted through my art box. I have lots of supplies, but I'm narrowing them down to two boxes for now. This one contains my dry mediums as well as inks.

I got an odd pleasure from emptying this box, sorting and organizing all the bits and pieces, and then putting them back.

My hands became dirty from handling charcoal bits. I became excited as I considered my supplies. This is familiar. When I was in grade school I would set out all my brand-new school supplies on my bed, handling them gently, even smelling them. (Hey, I've always been a little weird.) I have a strong appreciation for endless possibilities.

Today I also bought a cheap 9"x12" sketchbook at my favourite art store.
Now, I need to remind myself that I love drawing.

I think I'm ready.


2 comments:

amy rubin flett said...

wow, this all sounds so lovely! your box reminds me of a little box of magic potions.
do you know wendy welch? she spent a year doing only work with black and white. what you wrote made me think of that, how imposed limitations can open up whole worlds.
your boat looks beautiful and your easel does too.

Kyra said...

thank you for your kind comments amy! i looked wendy welch up, i like!
yes, i agree that sometimes it's necessary to simplify - and shed expectations... we'll see how it goes!